Sunday, June 29, 2008

A little pride

Today Manhattan was filled with pride. Gay pride. All over downtown Manhattan women in love with women and men in love with men walked the streets holding hands and waiving rainbow flags. Of course, not everybody shared in the pride. A few of my friends and I were walking down St. Marks street when one of the people in our group was called a fag. I turned around to say and do nasty things with my fingers and mouth- all actions were completely warranted. The girl, should I say woman, who called my acquaintance the epithet, seemed to be very young, white, and had green hair. "Really?" I thought to myself, "a very young lady in the middle of a very alternative street in Manhattan (FULL OF GOTHS AND PUNKS) calling somebody a fag?"

Things just haven't changed enough.

Aren't young people more enlightened by now? Was that girl angry at the world and the only way she knew how to show her discontent was to call somebody an offensive name? Fuck it. If this happens in Manhattan, what the hell can we expect from places in the Midwest? Now more than ever we need to show people that being a bigot is never acceptable. Now more than ever we need allies, people who are willing to stand up for what's right. No excuses. Show no fucking fear. Do not tolerate this kind of behavior from anyone even if it isn't you who the bigot(s) is insulting.

I know this is cheesy... to some, but it's relevant. Read it. You need it. I need it to remind myself that if I don't take action things could be worse. That if I don't speak up for somebody who's down then who will speak up for me when I'm down? Who will speak up/stand up for my loved ones when they need it most?

In Germany they first came for the Communists
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.
Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.
Then they came for the trade unionists
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.
Then they came for the Catholics
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.
Then they came for me
and by that time no one was left to speak up.

--The Reverend Martin Niemöller, a pastor in the German Confessing Church who spent seven years in a concentration camp.

2 comments:

Sara said...

just moved to nyc from the midwest. yes things in the midwest can be bad in terms of racism, but i find nyc people to be far more nasty. at least in the midwest most people are polite (would hold the door for you, say please and thanks, etc) but out here people push, shove, ignore, insult, etc. we don't do that back in the midwest. and yeah someone might call someone a N--- to their face, but that person gets dealt with. It's only in certain places where that kind of talk goes on tolerated. I like it here, but in the midwest, we're nice. I think maybe you need to visit if that's your perception.

Ps. what's with making the main black/biracial character gay and the only other one a creepy alcoholic? isn't that quite the stereotype? you say speak up, i'm speaking up. BA is great, but it'd be nice to see some black characters in roles like your PR's, etc.

Nomad said...

It is all about show and no substance. With substance you have to investigate and decide something for yourself. It is far easier to paint your hair green, get a tat and a junkyard full of piercings. I asked my "artist" friend who she would vote for and she immediately "not Obama" because- hold on to your hat, Mabel- because her psychic friend told her that Obama was the anti-Christ. Amazingly she was absolutely serious. An opinion based on somebody else's crackpot ideas.
Your story is no surprise to me AT ALL.